- Rice bran oil for pan frying
- 500g (17.6oz/1.1Ib) skinless salmon fish fillets (preferably tail part), washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 little gems lettuce leaves, washed and pat dry (you can also use cos lettuce, butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce)
- 2 medium Lebanese cucumber, halved and cut into small cubes
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
For the Flour Mixture:
- ¾ cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Sauce:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 sprig coriander (cilantro) including stems, roughly chopped
For the Garnish:
- 2 spring onions (shallots), thinly sliced lengthwise
For the sauce:
- Heat up a small pot with ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, add garlic and ginger and stir fry on low heat until lightly golden.
- Add the coconut aminos, lemon juice and grated lemon zest and stir fry briefly. Turn off the heat.
- Add ⅓ of the spring onions (shallots) and coriander (cilantro) into the sauce, stir and mix well. Set aside to cool.
For cooking the salmon:
- Add the flour mixture into a large mixing bowl, whisk and mix well. Lightly coat the salmon pieces with the flour mixture using a kitchen tong, shake off excess.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan with 2 inches of rice bran oil, and pan fry the salmon pieces for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Pan fry the salmon pieces in 2 to 3 batches. Set aside to cool.
For assembling the lettuce wraps:
- Add some cucumber and carrots to each lettuce leave.
- Divide the salmon pieces amongst the lettuce leaves.
- Drizzle some sauce on top of the fillings.
- Then garnish with the rest of the spring onion (shallots) and serve.
Daphne Goh is the creator of Healthy gf Asian, a recipe and lifestyle blog for gluten-free, lactose-free Asian recipes, with informative details on the ingredients’ nutritional value, health benefits and cultural history.
SUBSCRIBE to our news letter for product updates, special offers and gluten science news